Québec sales taxes integration in Magento eCommerce.
It’s not rocket science to setup Sales Taxes for stores doing business in the Québec province. We just need a little experience of the Magento admin platform and that’s it. Here at Maurisource, every store built from scratch requested us to Setup their taxes, and we find it quite a repetitive task. At least 1 hour is spent into verifying the data input and check on the Frontend that the taxes are being fired-up correctly. We did create a small script automating the whole aspect :) Sweet, read more now.
Here is how we get it done:
- We base the rates on some real-life trusted datas. We used CRA website to find the rates, here’s a screenshot source of wikipedia which we find equally accurate.
2. Here’s the output of this in Magento. Under admin go to, Sales > Taxes > Tax Rates / Zones
3. Here’s some Tax Rules to buckle it up. Under your Magento admin go to Sales > Taxes > Tax Rules. Note: Priority needs to be adjusted for Québec. TVQ taxes are calculated on top of the GST.
4. Use Maurisource QC Taxes Setup module for Magento to generate the taxes properly for you. No need to enter them one by one. (well of course you can if you want to). The ready-made extension we deployed is FREE to help our the Magento community in Québec. We will freshly setup the Canadian taxes for any store doing business from Québec. (Other provinces can also use the tool, but will have to play around with the prioritization in order to meet expectations of their respective provinces.)
Any old taxes datas you might have in Sales > Taxes will be replaced with the new one populated via the Maurisource QC Taxes setup on initial install.
The module is free and easily installable via Magento-Connect
Please leave a comment down here or leave a review on Magento-Connect if you liked this module. It would show us some appreciations to release more free useful modules just like this one.
5. Next in our series [BE SMART WITH MAGENTO] We will show you part.2 how to: Complete the Taxes setup on your Magento invoices. (post in progress)